Bohrer Brady Attorneys At Law

  • Se Habla Español
  • Helping You Is Our Only Business
  • Local (225) 925-5297
  • Toll-free 1-800-876-3911


Auto Accident FAQs

Auto Accident FAQs

When you are in an accident, you have immediate, important decisions to make. For the crucial decisions you have to make later on, consult with a personal injury attorney from Bohrer Brady LLC, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

What should I do if I am in a wreck:

  • Report all accidents to the police.
  • Notify your own insurance company immediately.
  • Do not delay obtaining proper medical care.
  • Do not discuss your case with others.
  • Keep all notes and documents related to the accident, including the police item number, name and address of other driver, names of any witnesses, receipts from ambulances, hospitals, doctors, etc..
  • Fill out your SR-10 form.

Who pays my medical bills?

  • The insurance company providing coverage for the car you were in, if it has medical payments coverage.
  • Your own automobile policy, if you have medical payments coverage.
  • Your own health insurance will generally pay a portion of your medical expenses, if requested.
  • The at-fault driver's insurance company is liable for medical bills at the end of your case.

Who pays my property damage?

  • If the accident was not your fault, you can collect from the person that hit you or his insurance company.
  • No matter who was at fault, you can collect from your own policy if you have collision coverage.
  • You can recover your deductible from the at-fault driver.
  • You are entitled to your damage estimate and choice of repair shop.
  • Property damage, by law, should be settled within 30 days.
  • You may be entitled to diminished value.

What is uninsured motorist coverage?

  • This pays your bodily injury damage when the person that hit you had too little or no insurance.
  • An uninsured motorist claim cannot be used against you to raise your rates or cancel your insurance.

Can I get a rental car?

  • If you have rental reimbursement, your insurance pays for a rental.
  • If you do not, the person that hit you may still be liable for a rental car because you lost the use of your own vehicle.

How long will it take to resolve my claim?

  • We work hard to settle your case as quickly as possible
  • In most cases, a settlement can be made thirty to sixty days from the date you are released by your doctor, depending on the severity of your injury.

What can I expect to recover from my claim?

  • The law allows you to recover money for your physical pain and suffering, mental anguish, emotional distress, lost wages, medical expenses and property damage.
  • Your spouse and children also have legal rights to recover damages.

What is No Pay, No Play?

  • If you do not have insurance, you lose your right to recover the first $10,000 of damages.
  • This law does not apply to passengers in a car.

The Advantages of Legal Representation:

  • We will work to get you the best settlement possible.
  • No more dealing with the insurance adjusters.
  • Your legal rights are protected.
  • You need not worry about being personally involved in the claims process.
  • You will receive professional advice in make decisions that are in your best interest.

Other Information You Should Know:

  • The insurance adjuster's job is to represent the insurance company and to settle your case cheaply. He is NOT on your side.
  • You should not give a recorded or written statement because it may be used against you later.
  • You have one year from the date of your accident to file a lawsuit, otherwise your rights will be lost.
  • If an insurance company does not pay your claim timely, it may owe you penalties.
  • If you were on the job, you may also be entitled to workers' compensation benefits.
Send Us An Email