In the News

Honda Failed to Report Injuries, Deaths to NHTSA

By November 26, 2014 February 7th, 2024 No Comments

A new report shows that Honda failed to report more than one thousand claims of injuries and deaths linked to their automobiles to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

The report was a result of a voluntary third-party review commissioned by Honda in September, and data from this report was made public in a fact sheet released by the NHTSA on November 24. The researchers determined that Honda failed to file 1,729 early warning reports (EWRs) with the NHTSA.

According to the NHTSA, these omissions were not intentional, but were the result of “inadvertent data entry and computer programming errors.” Honda representatives state that these errors have been fixed, but the company could face substantial fines for this oversight.

The TREAD Act requires that all auto makers report to the NHTSA all injuries, deaths, and property damage suffered in relation to their vehicles. The NHTSA reports that while Honda did submit reports based on regular warranty claims, “certain special warranty claims, including ‘good will’ warranty, and extended warranties for certified pre-owned vehicles and under 3rd party service contracts were not properly reported.” Honda also only reported on property damage claims they had denied, not on all claims filed, accepted, and paid.

Included in the unfiled claims are at least seven claims of injury and one claim of death resulting from a faulty Takata airbag in Honda vehicles. The NHTSA determined that the company knew of the death as early as May 2009, but never filed the required EWR.

Thousands of injured drivers and passengers have filed claims that faulty Takata airbags caused their injuries or even the death of loved ones. The NHTSA has issued multiplerecalls for these defective auto parts, potentially affecting more than 30,867 vehicles. If you or your loved one was injured or killed as a result of a Takata airbag, you could be entitled to compensation. Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer for more information.